DKIM is a standard authentication practice that helps domain owners verify their legitimacy and ensure the safe transfer of emails. This mitigates the risk of spam, even for forwarded emails. Email authentication is a must-have security measure that organizations are required to implement due to the rising threat of cyberattacks and brand impersonation.
Generating DKIM Key Pair:
To enable DKIM signing, you will have to generate the DKIM key pair. Follow these steps to generate the DKIM key pair:
- Go to the Domain Level Control Panel and select Outgoing > DKIM.
- Choose DKIM Key Length according to your DNS standards.
- Enter the DKIM selector of your choice and then click on Generate and save new private/public pair
- Once the key has been generated, copy it to clipboard.
Publishing DKIM key through DNS:
- Log in to your DNS management console
- Create a TXT record in your DNS with the title : ._domainkey. for example: s1._domainkey.yourdomainname.com
- In the section allotted for the TXT record value, paste the copied contents of the DKIM public key
- Click Save.
- Lookup and validate the published DKIM DNS record using this free DKIM record lookup tool
Enable DMARC for your domains to protect against spoofing. Sign up for a DMARC trial today!